Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Thoughts, Words, and Me (Introduction)

Hello, world!

I don't know how or why you've stumbled upon this humble little blog of mine, but I hope you are here to stay. Like many people I have always wanted to start writing a blog, but never got around to it. So what finally made me jump the fence and give it a go?

Well, I have a lot, a lot, of mental energy that I need to expel, and this will help me to do that.  My mind is a  speedboat (or a jet-plane!) with plenty of fuel but with no direction to go or space to move. One of the most tragic themes in my life is that I have all of this terrific energy but nothing to direct it towards. Its not enough to have plenty of energy; we also need self-discipline. So, writing in this blog at least once a week will help me to achieve that aim.

At some point in my life it dawned on me that all of those precious thoughts and monologues that are always swirling around in this noggin' of mine have been forgotten. Oh, how many sleepless nights spent pondering life and all of the topics that entails! How many times have I spaced out, and then thought to myself "That was actually quite a good combination of words, there, Dylan. You should definitely write that down" only to have it not written down, and to have those words disappear into the black void of forgetfulness? No more of that!

Thinking is one of my greatest pleasures. Delights like food and drink are expensive, but thinking is free. If there is no entertainment I can find out there, there is an infinite and entirely original library of entertainment always forming in the screen behind my eyes, between my ears. I hope to share these thoughts of mine with you, to provoke and inspire those same thoughts in you, to create discussion about them, etcetera! 

So, why is this blog named "The Adventures of Dylan Grant"? Well, the word "Adventure" really resonates with me. You could say that that word is a big theme in the perpetually unfinished story book of my life. When I was a kid, my tiny world consisting of my backyard and home would come alive as a fantastic environment. Its nothing special, every kid does it. 

Me on the right, with cape and sword in hand. On the left is my wonderful Dad.


But another reason why I gave that name to my blog is that, despite the fact that I have rarely spent more than a month of my so far 17-years of life outside of this island, I cannot help but feel that I have always been travelling. Why? Though the outer world is limited, the inner world is immeasurably vast, and when one is travelling from Book to Book or from Dogma to Dogma, you cannot help but feel you are going somewhere, meeting people, and changing as you do so. Its nothing special, every reader knows it. 

Of course, the real essence behind the word "Adventure" isn't just traveling, be it outer or inner. What is really in that word is the romanticism behind it. If someone is on an Adventure, you would say that the person going on that adventure (especially if it is of their own volition), was daring, possessed a zest for life, and a hunger for new experiences, and you would say they are definitely very enthusiastic. I like to think these are traits I possess. If they are not, I strive to! 

So, now that you know the cause of this blog, and a little bit about the person writing it, here is what you can expect from it:

  • Details about my adventures in the world of Theater, because acting is something I simply love to do. I have acted in several productions this year and intend to do so for the rest of my life, as much as I can! I have also acted in video projects of my own. To show you an example, here is me performing a soliloquy from Macbeth:
  • Chronicles of my adventures in the world of writing and reading. I love to write! Short stories, novellas, playwriting, and especially poetry. I've done it all! (...to varying qualities, I admit). You can expect so see a lot of that on here, too! I really do have a love affair going on with words: reading them, writing them, speaking them...
  • Records of my adventures in the world of the education system. I'm halfway through Grade 11. Gasp!
  • As you've no doubt already guessed from the starry meditating man above, and the sacred geometrical symbol in the background, you can expect plenty from my adventures in the World of the Metaphysical. That includes philosophy, religion, meditation, astrology, and energy. My views on those things are enough to warrant an article on their own. They are not at all what you would expect. I do not have stereotypical "New Age" views. A lot of the links to the left lead to sites where you can gather some of my views from. 
Me, meditating to a guided meditation CD. This one was from Drunvalo Melchizedek. As it happens,
I no longer believe in the correctness of Drunvalo's philosophy or any of the people who resonate with him. 
  •  I have been keeping a dream journal since I was 14, and I have written down all of my astral projections (or as they are sometimes called, Out-of-Body experiences or OBE's) and Lucid Dreams. So you can expect to read plenty from my adventures in the World of Dreaming!
But most of all, you can expect to read 100% original content.

I hope I have gathered enough of your interest for you to read another blog post by me before the end of the week. After all, attention is a valuable commodity these days, gotta be careful what you spend it on! :)

























No comments:

Post a Comment