Saturday, February 9, 2013

"ODE TO THE IMAGINATION": A Poem

I have many ideas for blog posts, but for this week I will upload a poem instead, because I also want this blog to show case my creative writing. This is an amateur free verse poem about the imagination. I have changed it perhaps 10,000 times. 

ODE TO THE IMAGINATION
Get up, go to bed, 
Stand up, sit down, 
Get an education, get a job, marry, reproduce, die. 

That's just the way life is, they tell me!
I don't remember agreeing to that! 
Is it any wonder that I try to escape?

This world may be dull, but, if I try, Middle-Earth is not too far away, ready for danger.
The world may be gray, but, if I try, Wonderland is not too far away, ready for zaniness. 
The world may be dead, but, if I try, Narnia is not too far away, ready for excitement. 

You think you can see me?
Ha! I'm not there, I'm in my own little world,
And I know this, but it's O.K., they know me here.
Everyone that you know, and everyone you'll ever meet,
has worlds upon worlds inside of them.
A whole universe behind your eyes, between your ears. 

No matter how far the astronomer will ever see, 
The depth and beauty of the universe is utterly incomparable,
To the depth and beauty of the imagination,
the tool with which each person can paint the colors of their spirit. 

How lucky we are to have eyes that see poetry in simplicity, 
How lucky we are to have ears that hear melodies in cacophonies, 
How lucky we are to have hands that transform garbage into art!

Every mad or inspiring ideal.
every drive for glory, every work of art 
is born here, in the womb of the imagination.

My Fantasy world is exciting, beautiful, and ever-living, 
but ungraspable. That is the tragedy.

I am going to return now,
to the loving arms of my own little world, 
and I hope you do too! 










No comments:

Post a Comment